Monday 9 December 2013

DC's New Talent Search

I've read the Harley Quinn #0 even if I've been slack on here about reviewing it. What I want to talk about today is the talent search that DC held, the panel that resulted and the person who won it.

When I read Harley Quinn #0, I had to go back and re-read the submission requirements because I really don't feel the artwork met them.


So with panel one - first of all her eyes don't even make contact with ours she's just looking down in our general direction and doesn't appear to be 'beside herself' or that she can't believe what she's doing. Also, those roller blades on a wet rooftop are dangerous, man. 

Panel two I can't really complain about this one although I will nit pick about it not being an entire chicken suit. She's wearing her suit plus a bit of chicken. Also, the contest was very ambiguous about WHICH Harley suit she was supposed to wear. 


With panel three, she's doing everything she's supposed to be doing - except SITTING in the whale's mouth instead of lying down and she doesn't seem to have the ecstatic, happy, most fun ever thing going on. 

Lastly, the controversial panel with last minute change.. I don't like it. I know DC was just wanting to avoid another scandal by having this guy's take in there but it just looks so squished in there at the bottom what I wonder if there is any more art missing from down there or what? Harley's face is so Jim Lee-esque it's no wonder they hand picked him. 

Honestly, I would have hung him there on the spot as a potential usurper, but that's just me and my successful business strategy. 

It also looks like Harley's sort of been 'shopped in there, like she's not quite sitting on it properly. That and.. HARLEY, YOUR BUBBLE HEAD IS NOT AIR TIGHT! Nor is it apparently connected to anything but that's a whole other kettle of fish. This panel gives me the impression that they picked this dude pretty early to give him heaps of time to do the panel change, but he didn't know what it was so that's why there is so little room down there and looks like Harley's being impaled up the nethers by NASA. 

That and... DC kind of glossed over who they picked, only giving him a small mention on their site and that's probably because he's been published before. So, new talent to DC but not to freelancing and working at other studios. Damnit DC, why can't you ever do anything right? What part about NEW and UNPUBLISHED and TALENT SEARCH do you not get? 

I tried to go back and find the exact terms and conditions but DC's access denied that page. Either way it's annoying. I mean sure, best of luck to you dude, but you already had one foot in the damn door and DC's losing enough staff to go sniffing around for more and probably would have picked you up anyway. You had a lot of chances to keep going in your career but now DC has picked you as a 'new talent', a lot of unknown hopefuls might not get those same chances. 

Comic Vine comic credits
Transformer Wiki Cover gallery
DC comics page

**Update**

The DA page has someone mentioning that the artist's mum suggested the change to the rocket and DC was like Aww yeah, let's board this ship! 
That's another unfair thing - why tell everyone else that you have to draw what we've told you and then pick someone who hasn't? 
Also, I've seen some Stormwatch artwork and it speaks to me in a ethereal voice, echoing down the mountains, incessant in it's calling... 'Jim Lee.....JIM LEE!!'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice or play dead! Harley Quinn's rules!