Saturday 27 May 2017

Batman and Harley Quinn trailer


Today I'm going to have a chat about the final trailer that's been released for the Batman and Harley Quinn movie (2017).



Now prior to the actual trailer being released we had been shown a 9 minute feature from the critically panned Teen Titans: The Judas Contract movie and it did create some controversy.
Namely the scene where Harley appears to have Nightwing tied to a bed while she disrobes to either seduce or assault him and also that everyone seemed to hate Harley's voice actress Melissa Rauch.

On these two topics - I personally don't think it's going to be an assault on Nightwing but when we keep seeing this:




And the writers keep saying it's definitely more adult, Harley and Nightwing definitely have a thing and oh yeah don't show your kids this thinking it's the original BTAS!



It kinds makes you wonder. Nightwing's been assaulted several times and Harley's been shipped with just about everyone under the sun. They even had her boink Deadshot. Let's face it, no one was impressed with Batman and Batgirl getting it on in The Killing Joke either.

I'm surprised Harley isn't even on this list, given her abusive relationship with the Joker and being       drugged prior to relations at least once. Just because she was into Joker at that time doesn't mean         it's okay for him to drug her. 



Second point: when I first heard Melissa Rauch's (best known for her role on The Big Bang Theory) take on Harley Quinn I wasn't taken with it. It sounded too bored and too 'deep' or throaty for Harley. 
Since seeing the trailer I find that I actually don't mind it. Melissa is actually damn good with voice acting - even in TBBT alone she never actually uses her own voice. 


To capture the voice of the character, she adds, "I knew Harley had a higher pitched tone, and a bit of a New York accent — and I come from a New Jersey family where everyone could be former gun molls. So I wanted to give a nod to my background without being as shrill. In all honesty, I used to speak exactly like that — my acting school professors really worked the accent out of me. So it was fun to find those tones and accent again." Empire Online

Okay, now on to the actual trailer!

It opens on a predictable scene of a hot waitress serving a bunch of jerks at a suitably themed dining outlet.
It follows with a predictable smack down.

What is it about these people? I have never once felt the urge to sexually assault any waitstaff that attend my table no matter how 'hawt' they are.
Maybe it's because I'm a woman, maybe it's because I used to work in the fast food industry maybe it's the fact that I have to really see a personality before I find anyone attractive, maybe it's because I'm a decent human being orrrr.... feel that putting your hand on someone's arse is dangerous because you'll either get punched or find something disgusting back there. It's also a good way of wasting your money because you'll get kicked out of the restaurant before you get to eat.




Meanwhile, over at STAR labs Poison Ivy is checking her facebook  hacking the system while Jason Woodrue AKA the Floronic Man wails on unsuspecting scientists.

They're sneaking into Alec Holland/Swamp Things which is mostly comprised of Latin dummy text but that's okay because what they're really here to do...




...Is hatch their 5km Poke-egg!

Oh no, it's just a leafy Rattata that uses a highly effective melt into nothingness technique.
Better luck next time guys.

Floronic Man is impressed.

"This is no ordinary leafy mouse!"
Ya don't say..



Batman - the World's Greatest Detective - has trouble finding Poison Ivy - a villain whose trademark love of plants means she's normally near green or moist areas, and most of her habitats tend to have an overabundance of vines or leaves poking out of it. What is a giant man bat to do?

Well, I guess he could call upon Harley Quinn!

Anyone who's anybody will be crawling out of the woodwork (hehe) to team up with her, praying that a small amount of attention will be garnered unto them also.

And yes, this scene is the after effect of Harley and Nightwing's tickle torture.




Getting Harley Quinn to help is such an inspired move for a DC animated movie!


I mean, it worked great in BTAS when she had to find the Joker in order to help Batman avoid destruction of the city but this is such an original movie that...that... hmm. 

I'll uh, just leave this here then. 


"Friends don't let friends use really old jokes!"
This of course leads to a confrontation with Poison Ivy who has had it with all these humans living everywhere and shit!

I know it's kinda her thing, but this whole anti-human thing would be easier to swallow if she actually looked more like a plant monster like her co-schemer instead of an attractive human woman.





 Obligatory fight scene that hilariously looks like Floronic Man's head got knocked off.

Nothing about the obligatory super villain dispute that ends up with Poison Ivy turning against him like we've already seen in the featurette.



Oh my gosh, I was wondering what it was that was bugging me about this picutere and now I know.

She's missing her arm diamonds! Only on her red arm and black leg though! What!
Why would you do this to me!

I have years of repressed OCD being triggered right now. What the hell! Even her cafe Harley Quinn outfit has diamonds on her black leg?!


       

My thoughts about the plot is that Nightwing and Batman are investigating Harley Quinn who is AWOL while on parole, but suspected of going straight.  She's working at a dodgy cafe. Somewhere along the line Poison Ivy decides she hates humans and prefers mice so she teams up with another semi-human plant aficionado to steal the research of yet ANOTHER scientist turned plant hybrid.  

When Batman realises what's going on, he enlists Harley Quinn to help. She assists by attending a dance party, tickle fighting Nightwing and making outrageous demands for deals. 
There's a showdown where Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn face off because they're friends and also women, while the guys fight  the other plant thing guy person. Ivy eventually realises that plant thing guy person has gone too far and is perhaps turned against him when she realises that oh yeah, this one human isn't so bad I'd better save her life.     
I'm also guessing Swamp Thing shows up to deliver a Coup de Bitch Slap.     
Then Harley and Ivy run off, or Harley gets a professional job and stays in touch with Nightwing.        


But did they get the Bat Drive-thru with the Bat Credit card? 

Tossing the salad? 50 Shades of Green? Broccoli gone mad? You decide. 

I can almost forgive the Nightmullet in lieu of his happy eyes

It's Him! That guy! The not-Joker!

Holy crap, she has again washed off the pure white body paint in seconds!

Looks like her dance moves have improved anyway

Loving the old school decals in a... wait, is this like a Hard Rock for Superhero fans or more like a Hooters for Superhero fans? I'm confused. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice or play dead! Harley Quinn's rules!