Saturday 17 September 2016

Why does Harley Quinn have so many comic books?

At the risk of sounding like a hipster... I'm starting to think I preferred Harley Quinn when no one knew who she was.

I remember it was a great bonding activity for me and my then boyfriend (now husband) - searching for elusive comics or figurines... knowing that we may not get them, knowing that she may only be on one page in the book and probably written or drawn badly..
It was a challenge, a reward when I found stuff, it was exciting!

Now I can't even go to my local shopping centre or throw a rock without hitting something with Harley Quinn's mug on it.

For a time, I was happy. My favourite character, getting more exposure, more affordable, more collectable.
But now it's getting a bit ridiculous..



It reminds me of Pokemon. You know, when it first became big over here, everyone and their dog would have a damn picture of Pikachu to get the crowds in. Which was great, because everyone loves Pokemon but then you stop and realise that it's all the same damn picture of Pikachu. It's not personally there for you, it's a cheap way to make money by stamping this one image on EVERYTHING in sight.

This is the perp right here. 


So I've been absent from this blog for a while, a little bit disenchanted with the whole thing.

My beloved Harley Quinn belonging to so many other people who all have their own take and interpretation of her costume, her back story, her personality and her mind-set..

It's weird and takes some getting used to. I'm trying to be more relaxed about it because I guess I understand more that yeah, it can't just be my Harley Quinn anymore. It's like when they remake movies or TV shows.... there's always going to be a divide between fans of the classic, fans of the remake, and people who are fans of both.

That sad, I'm still disappointed in DC because they are relentlessly whoring Harley out to the point where in a few years, people are going to have had enough of her and the associated merchandise.
It wouldn't be so bad if they cared about her enough to give her a coherant story line or personality but they don't, they just want to cram her in everything to make money off of her.

The question still is - why on earth... does she have so many comic books? So many so, that's shes on par with the freakin' Batman???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice or play dead! Harley Quinn's rules!