Monday 3 November 2014

Harley Quinn: Jim Lee Bust Review

So today I received my pre-ordered Harley Quinn New 52 Jim Lee Bust.

.........That's a stupidly long stupid name. Let's call it, the 52HQ.

Anyway, a few things jumped out at me. Such as, even though this is Jim Lee's own stupid design for the character formerly known as Harley Quinn, it's still a different design from the original New 52 sketch or even the comics. I really don't grasp why they can't just stick with one design. So here we are with the annoying blue and red colour scheme...and what is that?

The base is half red half blue, makes sense, given her colour scheme here... but half is smooth and half looks like a useless kid's finger painting exercise? Machine error, physical representation of Harley's state of mind, who knows?

This is the generic picture for the bust



This is what you actually get

So immediately you can see a massive difference in the base - I had to check around on Google images to make sure I wasn't the only one who had this issue because it looks completely smooth in the catalogue picture! She's also deathly pale, like the Joker's ass crack in real life but the catalogue makes it seem like she's got a slight healthy pink going on. Hey, wasn't there a huge outcry when the DC Cover Girls New 52 Harley was pinky instead of fish belly white? Oh, the irony!

I would have preferred this model a bit pinkier actually, the deathly pallor she usually carries is alright with the red/black colouring (see second release below) but comes across a bit harsh when she's wearing a more pastelly colours. I mean, her ruffle neck looks great against her skin in the first picture but you'd be lucky to find it on Pasty Quinn.



"It don't matter if it's black and red!"

I'm also going to point out that on the original pictures, that logo on the base looks fine but when I got my statue, it looks like the diamond used to be there, and then some hobo stole it. Trust me, I do understand what look they're going for, but it honestly does look like someone drew a diamond then got rid of it quickly, and not efficiently. I've also got a slight raised bump on the red side of the base of my figure. Again, is this meant to be right or is it just what I've got? 

Now: For your consideration...






Pictured above - people who think make up is masks. MAKE UP IS NOT MASKS. As much as it suits Silverstone's Batgirl, it annoyed me when Batman and Robin have all this dark mud mask looking stuff under their eye masks... then Batgirl comes along with freaking eyeliner smeared over half of her face. AND HOW COME WHEN I DO IT I DON'T LOOK AS GOOD AS BATGIRL!?

No to mention my statue has huge dents in her eyes... like... really weird.

Okay, so that's the major problem I have with the design. There's also the tiny corset with a deep plunge happening, but that was already a problem.



I also didn't realise pre-purchase that her cape is like, also two toned. I still don't get the concept of her having a cape. Her gauntlets and hair ties are a shiny, metallic sort of paint but the rest of her isn't. I like the way they tried to give her individual little hair curls but I have to say that on the red side - it looks like she's bleeding from a head wound. 

On the plus side, the mallet looks great! I like the Harley head on the belt buckle... although my statue looks a little FUBAR on that front... I like that she actually has muscles but she also has like, nothing going on around the abdomen. Sure, she's got abs and that super skinny Jim Lee style going on but nothing for digestion or balance. Just sayin'. 

Also, I'm not sure what DC has going on upstairs, but even though this was a limited edition statue, there's nothing on the box to indicate this and the only model number I have is squished under the base. Yep, limited edition of 2,500 pieces but nothing to really indicate it. Anyway, have some design sketches while you're here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice or play dead! Harley Quinn's rules!