Friday 9 August 2013

Thoughts on the new new 52 Harley Quinn

This is starting to become a bit Futurama/Dr. Who with the new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new-....somethings.

So, as we've established already..

1) DC hates any kind of continuity.
2) Harley Quinn has a roller derby outfit.

What I just realised when reading more about the proposed Harley Quinn monthly serial is that it's going to focus on what she does out of Gotham and when she's not hanging around the Suicide Squad kiddies.

So....

Hang on.



At this stage they haven't established what the sooper secret deal with Waller was, but I'm still under the impression that she's in a sooooper secret black OPs wannabe team while 'serving' her sentence in Belle Reve. Which, presumably is for life thanks to that sooooooooper serum which may also kill them all. Possibly after bringing them back to life.

So...

When is Harley out of Gotham when we've never seen the fake alternate universe Hardly Quinn *IN* Gotham... as she's totally in jail.

So....

Wait. What? How is this going to work?

Holy crap I want it to work, I want the Harley Quinn I enjoyed reading back, I want more comics with female leads - no matter how crazy - and I want it to be so good it completely blows Suicide Squad out of the shark tank and into the lava shark tank with laser beams on their frickin' shark heads.

What this sounds like is more a Secret Six outfit - in/out/dead/betrayed/in/ etc. Suicide Squad, while equally alliterate isn't really the same. Because they sold their souls to Waller/DC. Hot damn I miss Secret Six Deadshot! Also Harley's Secret Six entrances were awesome too.

I'm concerned though, the last Harley Quinn copped flack for minimal Joker/Poison Ivy etc interaction, and it sounds like it's going to be the same sort of thing here. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original run... even the bit where the art went weird and Harley had gangster drug connections and blinded young kids. We all have phases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice or play dead! Harley Quinn's rules!